Friday, April 8, 2016

Book Review | The Prophecy of Shadows (Elementals #1) by Michelle Madow

 

Title: The Prophecy of Shadows (Elementals #1)
Author: Michelle Madow
Release Date: January 26th 2016
Published By: Dreamscape Publishing 
Page Amount: 308 pages, Paperback

GoodReads Blurb:

When Nicole Cassidy moves from sunny Georgia to gloomy New England, the last thing she expects is to learn that her homeroom is a cover for a secret coven of witches. Even more surprisingly ... she's apparently a witch herself. Despite doubts about her newfound abilities, Nicole is welcomed into this ancient circle of witches and is bedazzled by their powers--and, to her dismay, by Blake--the school's notorious bad-boy.

Girls who get close to Blake wind up hurt. His girlfriend Danielle will do anything to keep them away, even if she must resort to using dark magic. But the chemistry between Blake and Nicole is undeniable, and despite wanting to protect Nicole from Danielle's wrath, he finds it impossible to keep his distance.

When the Olympian Comet shoots through the sky for the first time in three thousand years, Nicole, Blake, Danielle, and two others in their homeroom are gifted with mysterious powers over the elements. But the comet has another effect--it opens the portal to the prison world that has contained the Titans for centuries. After an ancient monster escapes and attacks Nicole and Blake, it's up to them and the others to follow the clues from a cryptic prophecy so that they can save their town ... and possibly the world.

GoodReads Link

Review:

I've been following Michelle Madow's writing career since her first series, The Transcend Time Saga, which I loved. I have all of the books plus the bonus packet on my bookshelf. Michelle is definitely an auto buy author for me. I've even bought her books for friends who like to read. When I saw the description for this one, I knew that I HAD to have it. (Even more than I already would have since it's by Michelle.) Witches and Greek Mythology?? Heck yeah!!

I really enjoyed this book. (Also, that cover? I am obsessed with it. I don't know exactly what it is about it, but it is stunning. I wanted to just stare at the book sometimes.) I liked the character of Nicole Cassidy. Although admittedly, the acceptance of the fact that she was a witch happened a little bit too suddenly for me but that was the really the only thing that rubbed me the wrong way.

You could definitely feel the chemistry between Nicole and Blake. It was a complicated situation. I wanted them to be together but I was also in complete agreement with Nicole about how nothing could happen with them if he was still with someone else. A lot of the time I couldn't decide how I felt about the character of Danielle. She's a bit of an enigma to me. Chris is a really fun character. He provided most of the comic relief in the book. Nicole is a likable character and it's very cool that she winds up with these amazing powers. Blake is a very strong and intense character. I liked him but he did annoy me at times, to be entirely honest. Kate was another favorite of mine. Very academic minded. She brought to mind Hermione Granger for me (not at all a bad thing.) Mostly because whenever she knows something you can just assume that she read it somewhere, like Hermione.

There was that Harry Potter-ish vibe in the beginning but I think that the book separated itself from that into something different. I really enjoyed the adventure and twists and turns in here. As well as the way their magic worked. It was different than what I've read before about witches. I really enjoyed this book and am very excited for the next one. Which is coming out very soon (check out the countdown widget on the sidebar.) 4 quills!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment