Saturday, April 16, 2016

Short Story Re-Review | Four Houses by Victoria Scott


Title: Four Houses
Author: Victoria Scott
Release Date: July 29th 2014 (first published June 26th 2011)
Page Amount: 35 pages, E-book

GoodReads Blurb:

A short story written in an unusual format, Four Houses tells the story of a teen girl who finds herself in a field surrounded by four Victorian houses. Over the course of the story, Maddie visits each home, and is ultimately faced with a ghastly decision. With a surprise ending, Four Houses demands readers answer the question: Which house would you choose?


Review:

I read this short story shortly after it was published for the first time in 2011. I absolutely loved it then and you can read that review here

I saw that this short story had been re-released with extra content so I knew that I had to reread it. (I love the cover.) I did that this January and I must say, I love it even more than I did the first time. The structure of the story is undoubtedly unconventional and that is one of the things that I love about it. I like that we don't start out seeing the beginning first. That will make more sense once you read the story (which you absolutely should.) Victoria Scott does an amazing job using this style of story telling. I wish that I could utilize something like that. The writing is as beautiful, vivd and descriptive as I remember. The story is eerie and hauntingly gorgeous. As for the extra content, I thought that it was a wonderful addition. It added even more to the story and made me love it even more than I already did. This is an exceptionally crafted short story and I highly recommend it. 5 quills!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment