Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review ~ Baby Proof by Emily Giffin



Title: Baby Proof
Author: Emily Giffin
Released: June 13th 2006
Published By: St. Martin's Paperbacks
Page Amount:  384 pages, paperback edition

GoodReads Blurb:
A novel that explores the question: Is there ever a deal-breaker when it comes to true love?

Claudia Parr has everything going for her. A successful editor at a publishing house in Manhattan, she's also a devoted sister, aunt, and friend. Yet she's never wanted to become a mother--which she discovers is a major hurdle to marriage, something she desperately wants. Then she meets her soul mate Ben who, miraculously, feels the same way about parenthood. The two fall in love and marry, committed to one another and their life of adventure and discovery. All's well until one of them has a change of heart. Someone wants a baby after all.

This is the witty, heartfelt story about what happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things and there is no compromise. It's about deciding what is most important in life and wagering everything to get it. And most of all, it's about the things we will--and won't--do for love.


Review:
I have mixed feelings about this book. The writing style was simple, but not in such a way that it makes it feel "dumbed down". It was just in a quick read way. I think this a good quick read. The subject matter is different for me - I decided to branch out.

The main character Claudia is an editor at a publishing house. That was my main way to connect with her - through out love of books and editing and good writing. That's where I felt the main - actually probably only - connection with her.

Something about her rubbed me the wrong way. Some of the things she says in the book severely grate my nerves and I just can't get past these things.

There was a line (spoiler free) where she thinks to herself something to the effect of "She may fix sick people, but I enrich healthy people's lives."

She was talking about how she edits books. Why is that just for healthy people? I'm not healthy and books have immensely enriched my life. Why should only healthy people reap the benefits? Wtf dude?

Another line went something like "It was like having a terminal illness and then finding out there's a cure." Oh honey, it's nothing like that at all. No freaking way.

Lines like this made me feel Claudia was rather...is immature the word? I'm not sure. I just couldn't take this main character,

The story was good though and the writing style was also good. I wish I had known more about the side characters. The ending felt a bit abrupt and rushed though.

Still, there was something that I did not like and some things I did like that it earned a 3 star rating.

I'd give another Emily Giffin book a try.

<3 Amanda Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment