Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Book Review ~ Perfectly Imperfect by Harper Sloan

 

Title: Perfectly Imperfect
Author: Harper Sloan
Release Date: November 17th 2015
Page Amount: 311 pages, Nook Book

GoodReads Blurb:
**Standalone novel**

Mirror, mirror ... who's the fairest of them all?

I still cringe when I hear that line. A fairy tale that had girls pretending they were the fairest, the most beautiful, and the most entitled. A fairy tale most couldn't grow out of turned my haunted childhood memories into a living nightmare. Girls who grew up believing that pile of garbage became the meanest of all 'mean girls.'

And those mean girls were right - it was a line meant for all the beautiful people in the world - and I knew the answer would never be me.

The women with long legs, flat stomachs, and perfect chests.

The type of women Kane Masters gravitated toward.

Well, that's definitely not Willow Tate.

No. That will never be me.

Because I'm completely imperfect.

And ... I hate myself.

I have no idea what Kane could possibly see in someone like me when he could have them.

Review: 
I started reading this book very soon after it was released into the world. I stumbled upon Harper Sloan's Facebook page and saw her posting about this book. Honestly, the first thing that drew me in was the cover. It's stunning. Then I saw the little blurb on the cover and knew that I had to see just what this book was about. Once I read the synopsis, that was it, I had to get it. I actually didn't intend to read it right away but I opened up the book on my Nook just to check it out and I couldn't stop reading it. I just kept "turning" the pages. 

The writing absolutely drew me in. As did the character of Willow. I loved Willow. Even though at times she could seem frustrating because of her insistence that she was not beautiful and not worthy of love or anything else for that matter. But this is something that people experience every day. It isn't something that just happens between the pages of books or in a movie or song or television show. This book dealt with real issues. There was a romance in it, yes, and there were definitely several steamy scenes. But I felt that the book did a wonderful job dealing with these very real life issues. This is one of those books that I feel could really help people. An example of why I love the written words so much. It really does have more power than people tend to give it credit for. 

I also loved Kane. He was great character. I loved seeing Willow through his eyes. I also just have to say that I love that he read romance novels. He was a very strong character from the beginning and his strength helped Willow to build up her own strength throughout the book. That isn't to say that he was without his vulnerabilities. Which is a other thing that I liked about him. 

There was another situation that came up in this book that also shows how this book dealt with very heavy issues. It is a feel good romance but it doesn't shy away from these issues. This situation was not at all what I was expecting, that's all that I can say without giving anything away. 

I honestly just absolutely adored this book. I'm having a hard time coming up with more to say because my review would just be a bunch of exclamation points. That's how much I love it. Not only did I order the paperback of this book but I ordered the signed paperback of it. It came a couple of days ago and I was so excited. It's even more gorgeous in person. And signed by Harper Sloan. This book will stay on my bookshelf forever. I don't reread books very often, but this is one that I definitely would. I loved it so much that I would sit down and reread it again right now. I would absolutely recommend this book. It was wonderful. 5 quills!! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment