Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Book of the Month! (#3)

 

Title: I don't want to be crazy
Author: Samantha Schutz
Release Date: August 1st 2007 (first published July 1st 2006)
Published By: Scholastic
Page Amount: 288 pages, Paperback

GoodReads Blurb:
A harrowing, remarkable poetry memoir about one girl's struggle with anxiety disorder.

This is a true story of growing up, breaking down, and coming to grips with a psychological disorder. When Samantha Schutz first left home for college, she was excited by the possibilities -- freedom from parents, freedom from a boyfriend who was reckless with her affections, freedom from the person she was supposed to be. At first, she reveled in the independence. . . but as pressures increased, she began to suffer anxiety attacks that would leave her mentally shaken and physically incapacitated. Thus began a hard road of discovery and coping, powerfully rendered in this poetry memoir.

My Semi-Quick Review:
I read this book a little over two years ago in my junior year of college. I was in the midst of reading this when I had an incident in the library one day where my friend had to drive me home. Upon reading this book I came across the list of the symptoms of a panic attack and realized that this was what had happened to me that day. (I believe it was Halloween 2011). I hadn't had a panic attack since I was seventeen and got on a plane (I'm terrified of flying). A couple of weeks later the same thong happened. Et cetera. 

This book is what made me realize that I had problems with anxiety. So this probably contributes to why it is one of my favorites. However, it also written in verse and I love that form of story telling. Moreover, this is a memoir written in verse. That must have been very difficult to do. Writing a memoir written in prose form is hard enough, but verse? That is impressive. 

I also found the pure, raw honesty of this book wonderful. Samantha is not afraid to reveal exactly what she struggled with with anxiety disorder. And she helped many people in the process. The verse is also so simple that it is beautiful. This will forever stay one of my favorite books. 5 stars! 

Resources For People Struggling With Anxiety:

The National Institute of Mental Health: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/index.shtml

The Anxiety Disorders Association of America: http://www.adaa.org/ 


http://panicdisorder.about.com/

(This list is from I don't want to be crazy by Samantha Schutz).  

No comments:

Post a Comment