Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Book Review ~ Jane Austen on Love and Romance by Jane Austen, edited by Constance Moore

 

Title: Jane Austen on Love and Romance
Author: Jane Austen, edited by Constance Moore
Released: February 1st 2012
Published by: Skyhorse Publishing
Page Amount: 128 pages, hardcover

Barnes and Noble Blurb:
Jane Austen left an indelible mark on the world of literature. Her novels set a benchmark for her era and have entranced readers ever since. In Jane Austen on Love and Romance, Constance Moore proves how well Austen understood the human heart and why her work, filled with genuine emotion and wit, has continued to touch romantics. So, if you want to live happily ever after with a dashing man who owns half of Derbyshire, then arm yourself with this Austen-tatious guide to flirting, courtship, and true love.

Review:
I have to admit, I've only read one Jane Austen book, Lady Susan. I really enjoyed it and have been wanting to read more of her novels for a while. When I saw this in Barnes and Noble I picked it up right away. It has quotes from all of Jane Austen's novels and even from some of the letters she wrote to people. There were some of the iconic quotes in there: "To be fond of dancing was a certain step toward falling in love." (Pride and Prejudice)  and “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” (Pride and Prejudice)

I enjoyed this book a lot and it made me really want to read Jane Austen's work, even more than I did before. I'm particularly eager to read Sense and Sensibility. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:

"I think you are in a very grave danger of making him as much in love with you as ever." Elizabeth Bennet, Pride and Prejudice

"There could have been no two hearts so open, no tastes so similar, no feelings so in unison." Persuasion

"My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you/" Fitzwilliam Darcy, Pride and Prejudice

"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. . .I have loved none but you." Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion

"She began now to comprehend that he was exactly the man, who, in disposition and talents, would most suit her." Pride and Prejudice

"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." Fitzwilliam Darcy, Pride and Prejudice

"[She] was one of those, who, having, once begun, would always be in love." Emma

"The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!" Marianne Dashwood, Sense and Sensibility

I give this one 4 stars.

<3 Amanda Leigh

2 comments:

  1. nice book of Jane Austen .Thanks for sharing is with us .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably one of the most romantic books I've ever read. Appreciate your review.
    Why Guys Pull Away

    ReplyDelete