Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Major Revisions

I was wondering how everyone feels about revisions and editing? For my fiction class our final project is to write a 4-6 page story. My first draft was almost 8 pages. My second draft I cut a lot out and it was 6 pages. But guess what? I have to do some MAJOR revision and editing. My professor wants me to focus on one scene and expand it to the 4-6 pages to give everything more detail. She said I could turn my story into a novel (Hey, good idea! Maybe I will some day!) So I have to pick that scene, which means I have to let go of A LOT of scenes. The good thing is, I think this will make the story A LOT better (yes, I used "a lot" again). I'm actually sort of excited to do this. Sometimes I find I focus better and longer when revising than when writing my first draft. What about you? Do you focus better when revising or when writing your first draft?


<3 Amanda Leigh

2 comments:

  1. I actually love revising & am able to focus better than when I'm writing my first draft. I guess it's because I feel like I've already accomplished something perhaps. Who knows? Anyway, good luck with your writing. I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually able to focus better when I'm revising too. It may be for the same reason. Even though I may have to cut a lot out, I still have the "skeleton" of the story in place.
      Do you write in any particular genre?
      Thank you. I'm following your blog now as well! Glad I am! Good luck to you too!

      Delete