Monday, February 24, 2014

Book Review ~ Self-Publishing Books 101: Helping You Get Published and Noticed! by Shelley Hitz

 

Title: Self-Publishing Books 101: Helping You Get Published and Noticed!
Author: Shelley Hitz
Release Date: March 29th, 2012 (first published March 7th, 2012)
Published By: CreateSpace
Page Amount: 54 pages, Paperback

GoodReads Blurb:
Self-publishing print books has never been easier. With the print on demand technology that is now available to us through companies like CreateSpace, it has made the process of self-publishing available to anyone and everyone. And there aren't huge upfront costs either. However, there are certain steps to self-publishing that you need to know. I've been publishing print books with Createspace since 2008 and want to share what I've learned with you. In this eBook I cover everything from the different companies and costs, to copyright information and book design. So I invite you to come with me and take a walk through the step-by-step process to getting your print book self-published. After all, if you can dream it, you can do it!

Review:
I have been wanting to do more research on self-publishing for a while so I bought two books on the subject. I have yet to read the other one, but am planning on doing so pretty soon.

This book was a very good overview of the world of self-publishing today. You get information on the types of self-publishing companies out there as well as a list of the author's recommendations. There is an overview of the cover design process. It also gives an overview of the following: self-publishing costs, self-publishing book templates, self-publishing software options, a bit more of an in depth look at CreateSpace, ISBN look up and FAQs, and obtaining a copyright. The last chapter gives you an overview of the whole process; sort of like a checklist. 

I do have to say that there were some errors in this book. I believe that it could have been edited more thoroughly. Also, the reader could clearly see that this was intended to be an e-book. (It even still says "eBook" in the description for the print book). There are links to websites in this. I think that it's good to have the extra information there for readers to find. However, I do also think that the hyperlink look of it could have been changed for the print copy. Just list the address. 

That being said, this is a good overview of self-publishing. I definitely recommend this to someone who is looking for a short overview of the subjects that can present themselves in the process of self-publishing. If you are looking for a more in depth book about self-publishing then I would pick up something else or buy this in addition to the other book. This is a good quick reference guide. For example, the section on self-publishing book templates is something that I would flip to often for quick reference. Shelley Hitz's website, http://www.self-publishing-coach.com/, has much more information. I would certainly recommend checking out that website. I do also plan to purchase her other book, Book Marketing on a Shoe String Budget. I believe that it will give me some good ideas on how to do market my book. 

Again, good to pick up if you're looking for a quick overview or reference guide. Or to pick up with another more in depth book on self-publishing - to use as companions, almost. It was also inspirational in that it - to me - made one seem like they can do this. My rating would be 3.5 stars!

<3 Amanda Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment