Sunday, December 27, 2015

Book Review ~ A Letter to My Friend by Rebekah Palmer

 

Title: A Letter to My Friend
Author: Rebekah Palmer
Release Date: August 16th 2013 (first published July 1st 2013)
Published By: Launch! 
Page Amount: 70 pages, Paperback

GoodReads Blurb:
A book for teenagers written by a teenager. If you are a young person not quite on your own, in college or a young adult, this book was written with you in mind. The truths expressed inside will help you on your journey to becoming an adult who makes Holy Spirit-led decisions and takes on responsibility for those around you. 

Review:
Rebekah Palmer is a friend of mine. We met through Facebook through a community of people who have Cystinosis. Rebekah and I both have this rare disorder. She likes to write as well so we get along pretty well. I bought her book two years ago when it first came out but didn't read it until this month. 

Now, I'm actually not a particularly religious person and this book is obviously mostly aimed at religious Christians. I may not be religious but I do consider myself spiritual. I think that there were some good musings in this book. While they were targeted to a more religious audience I do believe that you don't have to be religious to get use out of the messages. That being said, there were some things that I didn't necessarily agree with. But the odds of always agreeing with everyone on everything are slim. One thing that I didn't like - it had nothing to do with the messages expressed - was in the about pages. Now, Rebekah has an amazing and inspirational story. That isn't at all what I took issue with. In the about pages Cystinosis is described as a kidney disorder. I think that Rebekah may have done this to simplify things for people to understand but Cystinosis itself is not a kidney disorder. Nephropathic Cystinosis causes a kidney disorder, it is not a kidney disorder itself. (I don't claim to know anything about the other two types of Cystinosis.) 

Even though there were some things that I didn't particularly agree with, the book was good. It was very well written. There were also some poems at the back of the book. Again, some of them were more religious than I am but the poems themselves were good. I enjoyed them. Rebekah is a good writer. And I am very sure that there is an audience out there for this book that would enjoy it even more because they relate more to the religious aspect. I would give this book 3.75 quills. Merry Belated Christmas, Rebekah!! 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review, Amanda :-) I am always curious what a person who has not identified with the Christian faith would think of my writings on the subject. I just learned within the last two years that Cystinosis is a lysomal storage disorder. I actually have a second manuscript sitting at my publishers on the subject of systematic abuse in Christian fundamentalist circles. The release date is not out yet as I am waiting for a couple book forwards from a few professionals. I have no problems with disagreements and if you ever wanted to talk about something in a book of mine, feel free to chat with me! I don't presume to convert anyone to my particular belief system and always enjoy echanging ideas. Thank you, again, for the belated merry Christmas! I hope you had a happy Christmas and a good New Year coming up! This was an excellent surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! exchanging not echanging...wow...my spelling on computers...

    ReplyDelete