Friday, September 8, 2017

Bundle Reviews | Harry Potter Reviews


Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Author: Story by: J. K. Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne Play by: Jack Thorne
Release Date: July 31st 2016
Published By: Little, Brown
Page Amount: 343 pages, Hardcover, Special Rehearsal Script Edition

GoodReads Blurb:

The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn't much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

Review: 

I pre-ordered this because I was desperate to get my hands on it. I had been waiting to get my hands on this story for nine years. I can't give too much of a review because that would be giving away an abundance of information about all of the books. It took turns that I was not expecting at all and I yelled at the book a lot. I put up a special away message on my e-mail just to say I would be gone until I had finished the book. There are some things mentioned in the book that I want to know more about. Maybe one day I'll get to learn them. I would recommend this to any Harry Potter fan for sure. I do wish I could have seen the play, of course. But I give this 5 quills.

 


Title: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Author: J. K. Rowling
Release Date: November 18th 2016
Published By: Arthur A. Levine Books
Page Amount: 293 pages, Hardcover


GoodReads Blurb:

J.K. Rowling's screenwriting debut is captured in this exciting hardcover edition of the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them screenplay.

When Magizoologist Newt Scamander arrives in New York, he intends his stay to be just a brief stopover. However, when his magical case is misplaced and some of Newt's fantastic beasts escape, it spells trouble for everyone…

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them marks the screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling, author of the beloved and internationally bestselling Harry Potter books. Featuring a cast of remarkable characters, this is epic, adventure-packed storytelling at its very best.

Whether an existing fan or new to the wizarding world, this is a perfect addition to any reader's bookshelf.

Review: 

I wasn't in a mad hurry to read this book because it isn't directly to do with Harry Potter but of course I still had to have it (and to read it) because it's part of that world. The wizarding world that J. K. Rowling created. I was also pretty sure that it mentioned Grindelwald, who is definitely somebody that I want to know more about. It was a good story although I think the second half was better. I also think it is something that would translate better on the screen. I have yet to see the movie but I really want to. I will of course be getting the other ones when they come out. I hope to learn more about Grindelwald. I also hope that Dumbledore is mentioned more. I think I would give this one about....4.5 quills?




Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author: J. K. Rowling
Release Date: June 26th 1997
Published By: Scholastic Inc.
Page Amount: 320 pages, Hardcover


GoodReads Blurb:

Harry Potter's life is miserable. His parents are dead and he's stuck with his heartless relatives, who force him to live in a tiny closet under the stairs. But his fortune changes when he receives a letter that tells him the truth about himself: he's a wizard. A mysterious visitor rescues him from his relatives and takes him to his new home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

After a lifetime of bottling up his magical powers, Harry finally feels like a normal kid. But even within the Wizarding community, he is special. He is the boy who lived: the only person to have ever survived a killing curse inflicted by the evil Lord Voldemort, who launched a brutal takeover of the Wizarding world, only to vanish after failing to kill Harry.

Though Harry's first year at Hogwarts is the best of his life, not everything is perfect. There is a dangerous secret object hidden within the castle walls, and Harry believes it's his responsibility to prevent it from falling into evil hands. But doing so will bring him into contact with forces more terrifying than he ever could have imagined.

Full of sympathetic characters, wildly imaginative situations, and countless exciting details, the first installment in the series assembles an unforgettable magical world and sets the stage for many high-stakes adventures to come.

Review: 


How do I even to review Harry Potter? I've been madly in love with this story and these characters for years now. For nearly half my life, really. Well, more than that, depending upon how you look at it. I was 11 when I saw the first movie. 13 to 14 when I first read the books that were out. So Harry Potter has been an enormous part of my life for about half of my life.

In full disclosure, it took me a few times to read the first book but once I got past that first chapter, I was hooked. The story that unfolds in these books is amazing. So much more than "just a children's story." And I feel as if much of it is all too relevant to today's society. I've read the book twice. Well, three times now since I listened to the audiobook this year. It's still amazing and I can't wait to listen to the next six books. It's been too long since I read them. When I read them or watch the movies, it isn't like I'm reading about characters, it's like a reunion with old friends. 

Obviously, I give this 5 quills. I highly, highly recommend this series. The audiobooks are great, too. Check them out if for some reason you haven't already!!


No comments:

Post a Comment