Monday, September 25, 2017

Book Review | Milk and Honey by Rupi Kair


Title: Milk and Honey
Author: Rupi Kaur
Release Date: November 4th 2014
Page Amount: 204 pages, Paperback edition

GoodReads Link

GoodReads Blurb:

milk and honey is a collection of poetry and prose about survival. It is about the experience of violence, abuse, love, loss, and femininity. It is split into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose, deals with a different pain, heals a different heartache. milk and honey takes readers through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look.

Review: 

I'm in an online book club and this was one of the options one month. It wasn't picked but I was intrigued so I got the audiobook. The audiobook is read by the author which makes it even more amazing.

I really loved his collection. The description says it's a collection of poetry and prose. Because I was listening to the audiobook I couldn't always tell which it was. To me, even the prose read like poetry. With  poetic quality. My initial review on GoodReads read "Amazing!! Loved it!!" There is so much important content and subjects discussed here. I saw a review on GoodReads that said it wasn't poetry. That it was diary entries with line breaks. Maybe so. Maybe not. Poetry (as with most art) is quite subjective. If they are diary entries they read a lot more beautifully than my diary entries do. I think the subjects in here were important and discussed beautifully. My sister read and reviewed this book, too. One sentence of her review sums it up pretty well. "Everyone needs to read this book." I agree. I might need to buy it in paperback. 5 quills.


No comments:

Post a Comment