Friday, March 21, 2014

Book Review ~ The Productive Writer by Sage Cohen

 

Title: The Productive Writer
Author: Sage Cohen
Release Date: December 30th 2010 (first published December 21st 2010)
Published By: Writer's Digest Books
Page Amount: 208 pages. Paperback

GoodReads Blurb:
Take Control of Your Writing Life! The creative process can be treacherous, even for the most experienced writer. Facing the blank page, staying inspired, sustaining momentum, managing competing priorities and coping with rejection are just a few of the challenges writers face regularly. The Productive Writer is your guide to learning the systems, strategies and psychology that can help you transform possibilities into probabilities in your writing life. You'll sharpen your productivity pencil by learning how to: - Set clear goals-and achieve them - Create a writing schedule that really works - Discover what keeps you writing, revising, and submitting - Carve out writing time amidst the demands of work and family - Weed out habits and attitudes that are not serving you - Organize your thinking, workspace, papers and files - Increase your odds of publication and prosperity - Use social media to build an author platform - Get comfortable going public and promoting your writing - Create a sustainable writing rhythm and lifestyle - Accomplish what matters most to you Create the writing life you most desire. The Productive Writer will help take you there.

Review:
This book was part of my list of books to read before April Camp NaNoWriMo. (Find that post here: http://girlwithapenandadream.blogspot.com/2014/01/books-to-read-before-april-camp.html). 

I thought that there were some very useful tips and techniques in this book. As you can tell by the title, the point of this book is to make you a more productive writer. Well, only you can do that, but this book can help. This is not about the creative side of writing. This is about becoming more productive, whatever the situation, to give yourself more time to write, market, do events, et cetera. There are chapters on each of those things and more in this book. 

I found this easy to read and understand. I also liked the little charts and exercises that were included. Another thing that I like is that there is an Index. That way, in the future, I can reference what I want more quickly. Because I will definitely be referring to this in the future. In fact, I have to go back over and flesh out my notes from this book. That way I have tips and techniques that I can use in one place. 

In addition, inside the book there are web addresses of where you can go to find pre-made worksheets of many of the things in this book. I also want to make a point of going to them and checking out the worksheets. 

I think that this was a good book and that I got some good information, tips, techniques and exercises. I'm glad that I took the time to read this. I would definitely recommend this to any writer of any type (fiction, non-fiction, et cetera). I gave this book 4 stars! 

<3 Amanda Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment