Monday, September 9, 2013

Book Review ~ The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters: Vol. 1: Phantom

 

Title: The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters: Vol. 1: Phantom
Creator: L. J. Smith
Release Date: October 25th 2011
Published By: HarperTeen
Page Amount: 416 pages, hardcover

NOTE: THIS IS A CONTINUATION!! THERE ARE UNAVOIDABLE SPOILERS HERE!!

GoodReads Blurb:
The past is never far. . . .

Elena Gilbert and her friends saved Fell’s Church from evil spirits bent on destroying it, but the town’s freedom came at a price: Damon Salvatore’s life.

Damon’s death changes everything. He and his vampire brother, Stefan, had been locked in a vicious battle for Elena’s heart. Now that he’s gone, Elena and Stefan can finally be together. So why can’t Elena stop dreaming of Damon? As Elena’s feelings for Damon grow, a new darkness is brewing in Fell’s Church. Elena has been to hell and back, but this demon is like nothing she’s ever seen. Its only goal is to kill Elena and everyone she loves.

Review:
Okay. I am not clear on the whole story behind this new series of The Vampire Diaries. I heard that L. J. Smith did not write these new ones. But I don't know the whole story. Or if what I just said is completely accurate.So don't quote me on it. Okay, moving on. 

Even if L. J. Smith didn't write these I just love the Vampire Diaries series. I have since I read the first book. The first four were the best when referring to plot. I can't deny that the plot got a little out there. But hey, it is a fantasy series. Moving more and more away from urban fantasy. In which case, it would be more towards high fantasy. So looking at the plot from that point of view I would say that it is pretty good. I enjoyed it. Also, I don't know if the book intended to do so but I could definitely see a lesson playing out on the pages toward the end of the book. 


Over the years what I have discovered about myself is that I will read for plot or character. If the two can both be amazing then the book is phenomenal. However, if I fall n love with one or more of the characters you can be sure that I will keep reading the series. And you can be pretty darn sure that I will love it. This series is one of those series. Most of the characters in this book are okay. They don't really do much more for me. 


There are some that I like more than others. I really like Meredith's character. I like how she has the ability to stay calm in any situation. I like her cool, calm demeanor  I also like watching the relationship between her and Alaric. 


However. the character that really keeps me coming back for more is Damon Salvatore. I was absolutely devastated when he dies in the previous book. He is my favorite character. To be honest, he is one of my favorite characters in literature. I think that his character is positively wonderful. I know, I know. He did a lot of awful things. But there is so much to his character. The internal struggle he has. The external struggle between him and Stefan and how he deals with it. He makes a lot of mistakes but there is something in his character that is good. Complete evil is not capable of love. And he grows from loving Elena to caring about her friends as well. He dies saving Bonnie. So clearly, there is more to him than there seems to be. 


I love this series and I always will. And that is largely because of Damon Salvatore. Now, do I even need to say the rating? Okay, I will. 5 stars! Can I do 6 stars? Damon Salvatore is just that terrific! <3


<3 Amanda Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment