Thursday, September 5, 2013

Book Review ~ Taste the Heat by Rachel Harris

 

Title: Taste the Heat
Author: Rachel Harris
Release Date: July 8th 2013
Published By: Entangled Bliss
Page Amount: 191 pages, e-book

GoodReads Blurb:
One sexy fire captain. One Cajun chef, One combustible kitchen…

When chef Colby Robicheaux returned home to New Orleans to save her family restaurant, the last person she expected to reconnect with was her brother’s best friend and her childhood crush. As tempting as a sugar-coated beignet, Jason is one dish she doesn't want to taste. Colby is counting down the days till she can leave the place where her distrust of love and commitment originated and go back to Vegas. 


Fire captain Jason Landry isn't looking for love, either. He knows he should focus on finding the perfect mother for his daughter, but when he first sees Colby, all grown up and gorgeous, he can’t help but be drawn to her. And when she suggests a no-strings-attached fling, Jason doesn't want to say no. 


As their relationship grows more intense, Colby finds that Jason isn't as easy to leave behind as she thought. Could turning up the heat on something real be worth the possibility of getting burned?


Review:
I don't read adult romances very often. (And when I say adult I'm not talking Fifty Shades of Grey here. There is some heat in the book but no full blown sex scenes). I've chatted with Rachel Harris via Twitter, Facebook and GoodReads. It just so happened that when I felt I was in the mood for an adult romance Rachel had this book coming out so it worked perfectly!  

Sometimes (but rarely) I just want a light romance with no "issues" in it. Usually, however, I want some issues in it. I like characters to be flawed. Because, really, is anybody ever perfect? I find it better that way. Someone may perfect for you but the chances that they are actually perfect are very 
slim. 

The story-line here was great. I loved the New Orleans setting. All of the culture it had to offer. Especially the food. I am a bit of a foodie so that part really appealed to me. I loved hearing about the cuisine in New Orleans. At some parts of the book I got hungry for the food. The romance story was also great. Jason was a wonderful character and I like Colby as well. They each had personal demons they were dealing with that made it hard for them to open their hearts. But they began to and you could clearly see the attraction. My favorite line from the book was "...the heart doesn't always work on a time table." 


Let's talk about the characters. I thought that these characters were great. I loved reading about Colby in the kitchen  New dishes she'd created and things of this nature. Jason was also great. He had his hands full, huh? It was also pretty amusing to see him get Colby flustered. I really liked Cane and Sherry as well. I liked the fact that Cane looked like a bad boy but he was the "geeky" numbers guy and a protective big brother. At one point he's described as a teddy bear. Sherry was a lot of fun. I could get her quirky personality from Rachel's writing. She took a lot of joy in watching her sister squirm. Then again, so did Cane. I really liked the family dynamic between Cane, Colby and Sherry. There are other characters that I loved but I don't want to give that much away. ;)


I really enjoyed this book. It isn't just a light fluffy romance. It has some serious stuff going on it and I thought that was good to put in there. I also liked that the characters weren't positively perfect. They had their flaws. I'm really glad that I read this book. I really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it if you're a romance fan! Even if you aren't, give it a try! 4 stars!

<3 Amanda Leigh 

No comments:

Post a Comment